Thursday, October 28, 2010

Comments? Questions? Final Project

My project is about collective memory, specifically the collective memory of my family. It will take form reappropriated in the book "When We Were Very Young" by A. A. Milne, the man who created Winnie the Pooh. I chose this book because it was a very influential book in my childhood. My father used to read the poems aloud to us when we were little, and to this day I can remember many and even recite some of them. In this way the book plays into this idea of my family and its collective memory and significance.
Since my idea involves my family, and in many ways my family tree, I will put a family tree at the very beginning of the book with names of all the people I will include. I was originally going to try to create some sort of book that opened up into one big page in which the project was the family tree, but that would not fulfill the requirements of the project, as it is supposed to be between 10 and 20 pages. Instead, I will linearize the family tree, either starting with both sets of grandparents and moving into the two sides of the family with my immediate family at the end, or starting and ending with the two sets of grandparents with my immediate family in the middle.
The pictures of my immediate family will be different, however, in that each member will have a series of images instead of just one image, of different stages of their life (childhood, adolescence, adulthood, present day - as they apply) emphasizing how our individual stories and memory have created who we are and contribute to the overall memory of the family. I may also make these pictures stand out even more by more clarity, or some kind of border, etc.
In this way, my book will be a physical representation of how my immediate family and the individual lives of each of its members has formed the collective memory of my overall family, then reaching out into my more distant relatives. Each of our stories has affected each other, and together they make up the collective memory that is my family.
I've emailed home for pictures since I won't be able to go there and get them myself (I'm from Massachusetts) and I am just waiting for my family to get on the ball and collect these photos so I can finally get more hands on with this project.
I do need help with how to put the pictures in this other book in such a way that it is both aesthetically pleasing and makes sense in there...I don't want to just paste pictures over words.
Thanks for the input!

2 comments:

  1. I love it. Mostly I love you. So by extension I will love it. Biases aside I think you will do great things...

    ReplyDelete